Sunday 26 June 2016

Tanzania: Week One

I already don't want to come home and not just because of the EU referendum results...

In the last week I have experienced a wedding, a christening, climbed gangilonga rock, been to church and attended a festival of Tanzanian heritage culture. In my foundation training, I have watched fellow Tanzanian volunteers take up role play dressed head-to-toe (let your whole body talk) in drag WITH PADDING and learned the African Macarena. I have been immersed in a culture that despite a 50:50 Islam:Christianity split, their peacefulness makes Britain look like a 1930s Soviet Union.

My first week experiences have exceeded my expectations for the full 13 week placement and I have picked up more Swahili than German -which I was taught at school for 3 years (sorry Mrs Stoddart).

On the other hand, my luxuries have slowly declined -I started with two long-haul Etihad flights, stayed at a kind of luxurious hotel (see my last post), spent a week in a high standard hostel, and moved to my new home with a concrete floor in my bedroom, waking up with back pain and a long drop toilet that doesn't flush in Iringa. But despite the latter, Tanzania is home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment