Thursday 31 December 2015

12 days of Christmas: Day 11, My New Year Resolutions

WARNING: If you're someone who thinks the first of January is just another day, stop reading now. The first of January isn't just the opportunity to start writing a new page or even a new chapter, it's the opportunity to start writing a whole new book. 

I don't usually stick to my New Year resolutions but I like to make them anyway because it's important to have goals. In fact, the only New Years resolution I have ever stuck to for the entire year was New Year 2013/2014 and the resolution was 'don't pluck your eyebrows'. I left them alone for the whole of 2014 and most of 2015 - right up until about a month ago so almost two years! You'd think I'd look like Roald Dahl's Mr Twit but actually they barely grew... still, I won't embarrass myself with before and after photos. This year will be different. I'm 21 now. I'm an adult. I WILL stick to these resolutions! 

Be more healthy.
Here's one thing I am not ashamed to post my before and after photos for. On the left is me on my 17th birthday, below 7st. On the right is my 20th - last year when I was at my healthiest at 8st 10. Despite thinking I was 'fat' on my 17th birthday I couldn't have been more wrong.


I was so proud of this transition after the second photo was taken. I decided being unhealthily skinny wasn't for me and as a result, 2015 was the year I binged. I won't tell you exactly how much weight I've put on but it is a LOT. I'm still proud of this transition but the embarrassment at my lack of self-control often takes over. This year I'm determined to get back on track, with a HEALTHY regime. This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle choice - and I can't wait to show you my new before and after photos next year! 

Give more.
I have set targets for my charitable donations to slightly increase from the £85 in 2015 to £100 in 2016 (I know it's only small - I'm about to undertake an unpaid internship before I become a student again at the end of the year so let's be real.) But giving doesn't always have to be materialistic - you don't have to give money, you can give time. I plan to take on more volunteer work this year, starting with a 12 week internship at Cancer Research UK. Indirectly giving, I will be utilising a skill and a hobby to promote the charity and hopefully increase donations through my marketing for Race for Life. 

Save more.
While giving more in 2016, I also want to save more. You're probably thinking I'm contradicting myself but what I mean is... stop spending money on rubbish! With 0 income and student bills about to dawn on me in September, I need to be a proper adult (boooo) and only spend money on the things that matter. If I want to leave university with something in the bank I best start saving.

What are your New Years Resolutions and do you stick to them? Enjoy tonight's celebrations!

Ciao for now xo


No comments:

Post a Comment